Dr. Frank Charles Thompson was a young preacher in the late 1800s when he became disappointed with the reference Bibles being sold to preachers. Dr. Thompson believed the Bible should be presented in a simple, but scholarly way. He saw the need for a well-organized reference Bible that would be of practical use to the layman as well as a minister.
In 1890, Dr. Thompson began the work he would continue for the rest of his life. He completed the "thought suggestions" opposite the verses throughout the Bible. These are what became the "chain-links" that are the heart of the Thompson system. Some of the men in Dr. Thompson's church saw his Bible and told him this would be a great help to them in their Bible study too. They encouraged Dr. Thompson to have his Bible, with marginal references, published so that everyone could enjoy the blessing of this helpful study tool.
In 1908, the first edition of the Thompson Chain-Reference Bible® was printed by Methodists Book Concern of Dobbs Ferry, New York. It became known as the most helpful, trustworthy and unbiased study Bible available. The Thompson® Bible continues to have that reputation today.
In 1913, Dr. Thompson joined with B.B. Kirkbride in Indianapolis, Indiana to form the Kirkbride Bible Company. This was to assure the constant improvement of this remarkable study tool, and the widest distribution possible.
Today, the Thompson® Chain-Reference® Study System offers you a complete study library in one volume. With over 78 practical features for in depth Scriptural appreciation and understanding, nothing can match what the Thompson Chain-Reference Bible® offers:
* Over 100,000 topical references
* Over 8,000 Chain Topics
* Updated Archaeological Supplement with photos and maps
* Outline studies of each book of the Bible
* Journey maps and Bible harmonies
* Biblical Atlas
* Bible Book Outlines
* Over 4,000,000 Thompson Chain-Reference® Bibles sold!
- Words of Christ in Red
- Printed on high quality Bible paper
- Smyth sewn pages for strength and durability
- Cloth ribbon page marker
- Gilded page edges - both Black and Burgundy have gold gilding and stamping
- Dimensions: 7.5in. x 10.50in. x 1.75in.
- Weight: 4.4 lbs.
- Font size: 9 point
- Font style: New Century Schoolbook
- Number of pages: 1923
Thompson Comprehensive Helps Section
- Alphabetical Topical Index
- Numerical Topical Index
- Outline Studies of the Bible
- Historical Bridge between Old and New Testaments
- Origin and Growth of the English Bible
- Condensed Bible Book Outlines
- Detailed Bible Book Outlines
- Character Studies
- Outline History of the Apostles
- Portraits of Christ
- Prophecies concerning Christ and their fulfillment
- Journey Maps
- Harmony of the Gospels
- The Seven Churches of Asia
- Golden Chapters of the Bible
- Topical Treasury / Helps for Christian Workers
- Key memory verses from each Bible Book
- Differences in Religious places mentioned in the Bible
- Archaeological Supplement
- Hebrew Calendar
- 14 Full-color maps